Weight loss surgery is a very effective tool that can help patients with obesity. Thanks to new technology, robotic surgery for weight loss in Rockville Maryland has made bariatric surgery even easier.
What is Robotic Surgery for Weight Loss
This minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery uses new technology to perform operations with smaller incision. The surgeon sits at a console in the same room as the patient and controls the arms of the robot to perform the operation. The robot has 3D cameras that provide a very clear view for the surgeon.
Benefits of Robotic Surgery for Weight Loss Rockville
The benefits include:
- Better vision. The robot has 3D visualization. This increases the depth perception and provides a clear view for the surgeon.
- Better range of motion. Robots have wrists that can bend and move, and their instruments give a broader range of motion than laparoscopic instruments.
- Smaller incisions. The incisions required for robotic surgery are less than on-third of an inch long. smaller incisions hurt less and heal more quickly than the larger incisions used with open surgery. There is also a decreased risk of infection and fewer visible scars.
- Better ergonomics. Robotic surgery allows the surgeon to sit at a console with controls that are easy to reach. This prevents physician fatigue and offers a more precise positioning during the procedure. It also makes it easier for the surgeon to reach parts of the anatomy that are normally difficult to reach.
- Shorter hospital stays and recovery time. Since this approach is minimally invasive, it often requires less time in the hospital, less pain, less down time, and a quicker recovery.
Robotic Surgery for Weight Loss Rockville
Many types of bariatric surgery can be performed robotically. Gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch can all be performed robotically. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Maryland Bariatrics today.