There are specific habits of a healthy bariatric weight loss surgery patient that are always recommended you work into your daily life post-surgery.
While these are guidelines, it is important to monitor your progress as you adhere to these lifestyle changes as all bodies are different.
We recommend keeping a food and health journal and share this with your bariatric team to help you find your customized success plan.
Diet Guidelines for After Bariatric Surgery
Below are the basic diet guidelines we recommend:
- Eat protein first (80+ grams per day)
- Stick to complex carbs from fruit, vegetables, and legumes/beans (90-130 grams per day)
- Fats should be 30% of your diet (40-45 grams per day)
- Intake 20-35 grams per day of fiber
Calorie Tracking and Meals
For weight loss, we recommend 800-1000 calories per day.
Once you have reached your goal weight we recommend a calorie intake of 1200-1400+ per day.
Try to stick to five small meals per day where you can eat mindfully and avoid distraction.
Always pay attention to your body’s internal cues to know when your last bite should be.
In addition to mindful eating, you should try to drink at least 64 oz. of water per day and avoid the following:
- Drinking through a straw
- Carbonated drinks
- Sweetened drinks
Other Habits of a Healthy Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery Patient
Some other ways to continue your success after bariatric surgery include the following:
- Keep a daily food journal to monitor your success
- Celebrate your milestones
- Talk to your doctor about supplements to avoid deficiencies
- Exercise 30-45 minutes per day for at least five days per week
- Try to sleep for 7 to 8 hours each night
- Join a support group to get encouragement during your weight loss journey
At Maryland Bariatrics we are committed to helping you lead a healthy and happy life for years to come.
For assistance navigating your weight loss journey, please call our team of experts today! (301-965-0546.)